- 1 tablespoon [15 g] unsalted margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, sliced
- 1 small sweet green pepper, membranes removed and seeded, chopped
- 2 tablespoons [17.5 g] flour
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] curry powder
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 1 [14-ounce / 398-mL] can tomatoes, drained and broken-up
- 3 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] mace
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon [0.5 mL] black pepper
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] drained boiled rice
- 1 cup [250 mL] cooked chicken white meat dices
- 4 tablespoons [45 mL] partly skimmed plain yogurt [to garnish]
- 4 teaspoons [20 mL] freshly chopped parsley [to garnish]
- Melt unsalted margarine over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, carrot slices, chopped apple, celery slices and chopped sweet green pepper; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour and curry powder; cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Pour in chicken broth; mix in drained broken-up tomatoes, cloves, mace, nutmeg and black pepper.
- Higher heat, cover and bring to a boil.
- Leave to simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Take away from heat, throw away cloves and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Puree 1/3 of mixture into a food processor or a blender for 20 seconds; pour into a clean saucepan.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Mix in drained boiled rice and cooked chicken white dices; reheat for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Serve into individual bowls, each serving garnished with plain yogurt and freshly chopped parsley.