- 3 tablespoons [45 g] butter [optional]
- 1 onion, diced
- 7 cups [1.75 L] water
- 1 [28-ounce / 796-mL] can tomatoes, with juice
- 2 or 3 peeled carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] celery slices
- Finely minced celery leaves, to taste
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] minced parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons [7.5 mL] salt
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup [60 to 80 mL] tiny pasta noodles
- Melt butter into a large casserole; lightly brown onion dices, or, as I usually do, simply transfer onion dices into casserole.
- Pour in water and tomatoes with juice; add carrot and celery slices, minced celery leaves and parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then leave to simmer slowly, covered, for 50 minutes.
- Mix in pasta noodles and leave to simmer for approximately 7 to 8 minutes more, to just soften pasta noodles, before serving.