- 2 cups [500 mL] red kidney beans
- 4 cups [1 L] cold water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 6 cups [1.5 L] boiling water
- 3 cups [750 mL] warm milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring together red kidney beans and cold water to a boil.
- Boil for 20 minutes, drain and cool red kidney beans under cold running water.
- Into a large casserole, mix together drained red kidney beans, chopped onion and butter; pour in boiling water.
- Leave to simmer for approximately 4 hours [beans should be firm yet tender].
- A few minutes before serving, pour in warm milk.
- Reheat without boiling.
- Salt, pepper and serve.