- 1/2 cup [115 g] butter
- 3 pounds [1.4 kg] onions, peeled, halved then sliced
- 6 [2/5-ounce / 11.5-g each] cubes beef broth concentrate
- 1 cup [250 mL] boiling water
- 8 cups [2 L] water
- 1 cup [250 mL] dry white wine
- 4 ounces [113 g] well-chilled Swiss or Gruyere Cheese
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] salt
- Dash white pepper
- 1/2 loaf French bread, thinly sliced
- Into a casserole, soften onion slices into melted butter stirring until lightly browned, for approximately 20 minutes.
- Dissolve beef broth concentrate cubes into boiling water.
- Pour, along dry white wine, over golden onion slices into casserole.
- Cover; leave to simmer for 2 hours stirring occasionally, mixing in Worcestershire sauce, salt and white pepper towards the end of cooking time.
- Shred chilled Swiss or Gruyere cheese onto wax paper; set aside.
- To serve, preheat oven broiler.
- Arrange a thin slice French bread over the bottom of individual oven-safe soup bowls.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls; top with a thick layer of shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese.
- Melt the cheese under preheated oven broiler before serving.