- 6 ounces [170 g] Old-Cheddar cheese, well chilled
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] peeled carrot slices
- 2 medium celery stalks, cut into 1-inch [2.5-cm] long pieces
- 2 medium green onions, white and green parts, cut into 1-inch [2.5-cm] long pieces
- 1/4 cup [35 g] all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] pepper
- 4 cups [1 L] milk
- 1/4 cup [60 g] softened butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- Into a food processor, shred Old-Cheddar cheese using shredding disc; remove and set aside.
- Into food processor using steel blade, process together, approximately 3/4 cup [190 mL] at a time, carrot slices, celery and green onion pieces until finely chopped; reserve.
- Mix together flour, salt and pepper into a casserole; pour in milk.
- Mix in finely chopped vegetables.
- Stir in softened butter or margarine pieces.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Lower heat before mixing in reserved shredded Old-Cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup [115 g] at a time, stirring until completely melted after each addition.
- Serve immediately.