- 2 cups [500 mL] water
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] finely chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] finely chopped green onion
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup [115 g] butter
- 1 cup [140 g] flour
- 4 cups [1 L] milk
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 1 [15-ounce / 426-mL] jar spreadable cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] Cayenne pepper
- Bring water to a boil.
- Boil together chopped carrot, celery and green onion for 5 minutes; remove from heat.
- Melt butter into a saucepan; brown chopped white onion then well mix in flour.
- Bring together milk and chicken broth to a boil; stir briskly into onion-flour mixture.
- Stir in spreadable cheese, salt, pepper and Cayenne pepper.
- Stir in reserved boiled vegetables along with cooking water.
- Bring to a boil, and serve.