- 4 tablespoons [60 mL] olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] chile flakes
- 1 [28-ounce / 796-mL] can Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 cups [500 mL] stale Italian bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] thyme
- 4 cups [1 L] beef or chicken broth
- Water [only if needed]
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Preheat olive oil into a Dutch oven.
- Add chopped onion and garlic, and chile flakes.
- Cook stirring until onion is translucent.
- Meanwhile, break-up tomatoes with the back of a spoon.
- Mix Italian bread cubes, basil, rosemary, thyme and broken-up tomatoes into onion mixture.
- Salt, pepper and leave simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- Slowly stir in beef or chicken broth, approximately 250 mL [1 cup] at a time.
- At the end, bread cubes should almost be dissolved and soup should be thick.
- If too thick, pour in a little water.
- Check for seasonings.
- Serve, drizzled with a little extra-virgin olive oil.