- 2 to 4 tablespoons [30 to 60 g] unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white only, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 1/2 cups [1.125 mL] rutabaga dices or slices
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] green cabbage slices
- 1 1/4 cups [310 mL] potato dices or slices
- 6 cups [1.5 L] chicken or beef broth
- 2/3 cup [160 mL] milk or cream
- Maple syrup, to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley sprigs [to decorate]
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] carrot dices
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] rutabaga dices
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] shredded cabbage
- Heat unsalted butter into a medium-size heavy casserole.
- Soften together leek and onion slices stirring gently.
- Mix in rutabaga dices or slices, green cabbage slices and potato dices or slices; pour in chicken or beef stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and leave to simmer slowly for 30 to 45 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetable topping.
- Puree soup into a food processor or a blender; pour back into casserole.
- Pour in milk or cream and maple syrup; salt and pepper.
- Reheat gently as soup may curdle if allowed to boil.
- Serve into warm soup bowls, each serving decorated with drained topping and fresh parsley sprigs.
- Steam or boil together carrot dices, rutabaga dices and shredded cabbage until soft; drain well.