- 2 tablespoons [30 g] unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white only, finely sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 5 cups [1.25 L] red cabbage slices
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] peeled potato slices
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken or beef broth
- 2/3 cup [160 mL] milk or cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh dill sprigs, to taste
- 1 slice bacon
- 1 cup [250 mL] really fine rutabaga dices
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] really fine green cabbage slices
- Into a medium heavy saucepan, heat unsalted butter; soften in together leek and onion slices until soft yet not colored.
- Add red cabbage and potato slices; pour in chicken or beef broth.
- Simmer, covered for 30 to 45 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetable topping.
- Puree soup into a food processor or a blender.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan.
- Pour in milk or cream; salt and pepper.
- Reheat, until just hot [do not boil].
- Serve into warm soup bowls, decorated with vegetable topping and dill sprigs.
- Fry bacon until crisp; crumble.
- Steam or boil together rutabaga dices and green cabbage slices, until just softened.
- Mix together bacon crumbs, rutabaga dices and green cabbage slices.