Orange Caramel Sauce
- 11 1/2 ounces [326 g] ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] milk
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 cup [140 g] all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 ounces [56 g] milk chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] cold butter
- 4 tablespoons [60 g] unsalted butter
- 3 ounces [85 g] brown sugar
- 2/3 cup [160 mL] heavy cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons [30 to 45 mL] orange juice or Cointreau
- For the orange caramel sauce, melt together unsalted butter and brown sugar into a casserole over low heat until butter has melted.
- Stir in cream then bring mixture to a boil.
- Leave to simmer slowly for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat before stirring orange juice or Cointreau.
- Set aside.
- For the pancakdes, into a bowl, well mix together ricotta cheese, milk and egg yolks.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt before sifting mixture over cheese mixture.
- Add grated milk chocolate and mix well.
- Whip egg whites until firm peaks form; fold into dough.
- Heat a non-stick frypan then just slide butter over the bottom of hot frypan; reserve remaining butter.
- Pour 2 tablespoons [30 mL] of dough into hot frypan; cook dough for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles just start to apppear on top of pancake.
- Flip pancake over; cook for 2 to 3 minutes; set aside.
- Repeat operation using remaining butter and dough to get 8 pancakes.
- Serve pancakes, coated with reserved orange caramel sauce.