- 3 1/2 ounces [100 g] fresh thin string beans
- 1 red chile pepper
- 1 pound [454 g] fresh scallops
- 1 egg
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] rice flour
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] fish sauce
- Oil, for frying
- Salt, to taste
- Using a sharp knife, remove ends of string beans; thinly slice string beans lengthwise and reserve.
- Still using a sharp knife, remove membranes, seed then really finely chop red chile pepper; reserve.
- Bring a small casserole filled with lightly salted water to a boil.
- Boil string bean strips for 3 to 4 minutes, until just tender.
- Grossly chop scallops; transfer into a bowl.
- Mix in well drained string bean strips.
- Into a clean bowl, well mix together egg, green onion slices, rice flour, fish sauce and reserved finely chopped red chile pepper.
- Well mix beaten egg mixture into scallop and string bean mixture.
- Into a large preheated wok, heat 1 inch [2.5 cm] deep oil.
- Drop scallop mixture, one spoonful at a time, into hot oil; fry for 5 minutes, until golden brown and set.
- Remove pancake from wok; leave to drip onto paper toweling.
- Reserve pancake hot while frying remaining pancakes using remaining scallop mixture.
- Salt pancakes, and serve.