- 1 pack active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon [15 g] sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups [280 g] flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup [250 mL] lard
- 1 cup [250 mL] perl sugar
- Mix together dry yeast, lukewarm water, sugar and salt; leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Sift flour into a large bowl.
- Make a well, pour in yeast mixture and knead, adding eggs, one at a time, and lard, a little at a time.
- Leave dough to rest in bowl, away from drafts, until doubled in volume.
- Delicately mix in perl sugar.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat a waffle iron.
- Lightly butter waffle iron [for the first waffle only].
- Pour in approximately 3 tablespoons [45 mL] dough at a time.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until waffles just start to brown on top.
- Serve hot or cold.