Small Russian yeast pancakes made with a mixture of buckwheat and wheat flours, usually served with melted butter, caviar [on special occasions] or other fish roe, mushrooms with onions and sour cream.|
Cooled blinis, just as bagel halves, can be spread with sour cream or cream cheese and topped, to taste, with smoked salmon, smoked oysters, pickled mussels, caviar [black or red], red onion rings, capers and fresh dill.
- 1 ounce [28 g] active dry yeast
- 6 tablespoons [90 mL] lukewarm water
- 2 cups [500 mL] wheat flour
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] buckwheat flour
- 2 cups [500 mL] lukewarm milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
- 1 teaspoon [5 g] sugar
- 1 cup [225 g] cooled melted butter
- 3 egg whites
- Into a small bowl, soak yeast into lukewarm water for 2 to 3 minutes; stir to dissolve completely.
- Keep bowl into a warm environment for 20 minutes, until doubled in volume.
- Into a large bowl, mix together wheat flour and 1/2 cup [125 mL] buckwheat flour.
- Make a well in the middle; pour in lukewarm milk and soaked yeast.
- Beat vigourously with a wooden spoon, until smooth.
- Cover with a cloth and leave to rise, into a warm environment away from drafts for 2 hours, until doubled in volume.
- Then, beating, mix in remaining buckwheat flour.
- Beat in egg yolks, salt, sugar and 2 tablespoons [30 g] cooled melted butter.
- Leave to rest for approximately 1 hour, back into a warm environment away from drafts.
- Into a clean large bowl, beat egg whites using a wire whisk, until firm.
- Using a spoon, delicately fold egg whites into egg yolks mixture.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes more, back into a warm environment away from drafts.
- Preheat oven to minimum heat, 150°F [65°C].
- Into a large frypan, over high heat, heat 1 tablespoon [15 g] melted butter.
- For each [3-inch / 7.6-cm] blini, pour 2 tablespoons [30 mL] batter into frypan, as many as 3 at a time.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes; then brush top of each blini with melted butter.
- Flip blinis over; cook for 2 minutes more, so that pancakes are golden brown on both sides.
- Arrange cooked blinis onto an oven-proof dish; keep warm into preheated oven until all blinis are cooked.
- Add butter to the frypan whenever necessary.
- Serve blinis, one on top of the other onto a serving plate, wrapped into a tablescloth to keep them warm.